Skilled nonprofit leader focused on sustainable community impact and inclusive growth through operational excellence and innovation. 20+ years of experience and over $100 million in funding developed.
You can download my official, two-page resume here in pdf format.
MANAGER OF PUBLIC GRANTS & PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
Hillside Family of Agencies | Rochester, NY (April 2014 – Present)
- Charged with developing new areas of service and securing public funding for one of the largest direct providers of children and family services in the northeastern United States. Established in 1836, the Hillside Family of Agencies serves nearly 13,000 families each year with an employee base of over 2,500 and an annual budget of $143 million.
- Responsible for working with the agency’s executive teams, program leadership, business intelligence, and external stakeholders (including funders and community partners) to translate research and evidence-based practice into effective program solutions through the identification, procurement, negotiation, and implementation of public grants and strategic partnership opportunities.
- Responsible for leveraging and expanding external corporate, government, community, and academic relationships to further Hillside’s program development efforts and service provision opportunities.
- Responsible for providing leadership, guidance, and project management for emerging trends and best practices in the fields of child welfare, managed care and value based payment, behavioral health, intellectual/developmental disabilities, criminal justice, education, youth employment, microfinance and social entrepreneurship, workforce development, affordable housing, and economic development.
- Tasked with proactively informing agency strategy and decision-making related to merger and acquisition opportunities, sector trends, public policy advocacy, and government affairs.
- Performance: responsible for Hillside being awarded $32.6 million in new program services and capital development dollars from a wide array of state and local sources (including multiple State Regional Economic Development Councils and the Governor’s Upstate Revitalization Initiatives), leveraging an additional $58.7 million in private capital and philanthropic investment while adding over 95 new FTE positions to the greater Rochester and central New York regions.
GRANTS & RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT
Office of Government, Corporate & Foundation Relations
Roberts Wesleyan College | Rochester, NY (February 2013 – April 2014)
- Established grants and research development infrastructure for Roberts Wesleyan College, a private, liberal-arts institution founded in 1866, with a student body of nearly 2,000 and an annual budget of $100 million.
- Oversaw grant identification, procurement, and renewal activities for capital, scholarship, and research funding from foundation, government, and corporate sources.
- Coordinated with academic division leadership to design a funding conduit for support of faculty research activities and student innovation initiatives.
- Aligned ongoing development efforts with the college’s strategic planning activities.
- Furthered formal government affairs, foundation relations, and corporate engagement efforts in areas of strategic importance to the college in collaboration with institutional leadership.
- Successfully worked with the Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council to procure New York State funding for capital projects.
- Secured $1.3 million in new capital, scholarship, and research dollars from a variety of federal, state, corporate, and foundation sources, leveraging an added $2 million in private capital and philanthropic investment and increasing the institution’s year-over-year grant procurement growth by +450%.
DIRECTOR OF WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
Catholic Family Center | Rochester, NY (September 2000 – January 2013)
- Joined Catholic Family Center as a transportation supervisor in 2000, attaining promotion to a Director role in 2006. Provided leadership to an organization founded in 1917, serving over 30,000 individuals a year through an employee and volunteer base of 400+ and an annual budget of $27 million.
- Served on the agency’s Operational Leadership and Quality Leadership Teams managing the organization’s operating budget, strategy implementation, accreditation, quality improvement, internal policy development, compliance, community outreach, and government relations efforts.
- Directly responsible for a diverse team of 70 staff delivering over $3 million in services to 3,000+ individuals annually.
- Provided leadership for the following scope of services: employment preparation and job placement, transportation, interpreting and translation, refugee resettlement/health and immigration, financial literacy and loan services, social entrepreneurship, and adult/adolescent prisoner reentry (including co-chairing the Monroe County Adult and Adolescent Reentry Task Forces).
- Managed contracts and sub-contracts for multiple service areas, including related grant writing and research, competitive funding procurement, budget development, contract negotiation, operational implementation, performance metrics, and outcome measurements and reporting.
- Oversaw the strategic realignment of $1.6 million in multiple service areas, including merger & acquisition activities and turnaround management for troubled program areas.
- Oversaw the redevelopment of Healthy Sisters’ Soup & Bean Works from a grant-funded charitable model to a self-funded social entrepreneurship model with annual sales of over $150,000 throughout 100+ retail locations.
- Secured, implemented, and directed $15.7 million in new program funding from a wide array of federal, state, corporate, and foundation sources, leveraging an additional $2.7 million in private philanthropy.
BRAND STRATEGY, CONTENT DEVELOPMENT & SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT
Freelance Consultant | Global (2006-2014)
- Wrote over 150 articles and columns for multiple print and online publications including: Scholastic Parent & Child, Gatehouse Media, Parenting Media Association, and Roberts Today.
- Consulted as Online Editor-In-Chief (2009-2010) for global action sports publication Be-Mag.com with monthly reach of 250,000+ readers on 6 continents. Led content development strategy for global website re-launch, including all aspects of social media integration, optimization, and editorial framework implementation.
- Led launch of online men’s magazine TheFatherLife.com (2006-2010) out of unmet market need for a men’s publication geared towards dads. Provided strategic guidance for content development, social media, and brand expansion, including work with major brands such as Toyota, Hanes, Major League Baseball, Dove, Business Week, NFL, Chobani, Reebok Spartan Race, Saucony, and Disney. Average global monthly reach of 15,000+.
Image: David Stewart, Homegets.com